|Employer||University of Southern Mississippi (USM)|
|Location||Hattiesburg, MS US|
|Posted||June 17, 2020|
The University of Southern Mississippi is currently accepting applications for the position of Postdoctoral Research Associate (Patton Lab).
Special Instructions to Applicants: Prospective candidates should apply online at jobs.usm.edu. Complete applications require a 1) cover letter summarizing the candidate’s research experience and interest in the position, 2) a curriculum vitae and 2) contact information of three references.
Job Summary: A postdoctoral position is available in the laboratory of Prof. Derek Patton in the School of Polymer Science and Engineering at the University of Southern Mississippi. Research will focus on polymer synthesis and modification to support and promote a range of projects in the Patton lab, including degradable/upcyclable/reprocessable polymeric materials, antifouling materials, and/or multifunctional/multicomponent polymeric materials. Candidates with combined experience in small molecule organic synthesis, polymer synthesis, and polymer/materials characterization are particularly encouraged to apply. This position is not tied to a specific external funding agency enabling flexibility in the nature of the research projects.
The position is immediately available for one-year with the possibility of renewal for an additional year based on performance and availability of funds. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position has been filled.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Synthesis of organic molecules, such as well-defined monomers, and characterization by standard methods including NMR, FTIR, etc.
2. Design and synthesis of functional polymers via various polymerization techniques, such as photo polymerization, conventional and controlled free radical polymerization, along with post modification of custom and/or commercially available polymers.
3. Characterization of polymers by standard methods, including NMR, FTIR, GPC, TGA, DSC, DMA, mechanical testing, etc.
4. Participate in creative problem solving, refinement of projects directions, and the development of research proposals
5. Document and analyze data, publish in peer-reviewed scientific journals, and disseminate key results at conferences
6. Assist with management and mentorship of graduate and undergraduate students and with general management of laboratory processes and equipment
7. Work collaboratively in a team environment and interact effectively with a broad range of colleagues
8. Comply with laboratory environmental, health and safety requirements
9. Maintain strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of scientific ethics
10. Performs other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications: Applicants must have earned a Ph.D. in Polymer Science and Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science and Engineering, Chemical Engineering or closely related fields.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: The candidate should have excellent communication skills (written and oral), demonstrated experience in polymer synthesis and characterization evidenced by a strong record of peer-reviewed publications and conference presentations, and be willing and able to guide PhD and undergraduate students in an academic laboratory environment. The candidate should be self-motivated with the ability to think and work independently to accomplish project goals.
Preferred Qualifications:Knowledge in characterization techniques such as x-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS) and atomic force microscopy (AFM) is desirable but is not a prerequisite for the position.